Doctor hears from left side for first time in 30 years | News
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Dr. Glenn Knox works with the hearing impaired every day at Mandarin Hearing and Balance Center. But for the first time, a new device is helping him hear better without surgery.
Dr. Knox said he has not heard out of his left ear in more than 30 years. When he heard about the Soundbite Hearing System he wanted to give it a try.
"It's amazing," Dr. Knox explained. "It's just like, bringing tears to my eyes basically. It's unbelievable."
Dr. Knox said he was the first person in the Jacksonville area to get fitted for the two piece device. The patient wears a microphone in his or her "bad ear" and a receiver over the teeth on his or her "good" side. The microphone uses radio signals to transmit the sound to the mouthpiece, which vibrates imperceptibly transferring the sound to the ear that can hear it.
Dr. Knox and his wife tested the device for the first time with a simple question.
"Can you go to the grocery store later?" She asked.
"She wants me to go to the grocery store later," laughed Dr. Knox. "Now normally, I would've just not responded [be]cause I can't hear a thing out of this ear... But it works great."
The device costs about $6,500, but is covered by most insurance providers.
Upcoming Events near Mandarin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House