Game of the Week coverage from Mandarin | News
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The girls soccer playoff game between University and Mandarin was voted as our game of the week, but it might end up being our game of the year.
The Lady Mustangs fell behind 2-0 early. Although they played much better in the second half, it took quite a while before they could find the back of the net. After several shots on goal were off the mark, Rosie Lindo fired a free kick towards the near post. The University goalkeeper stopped the ball but didn't catch it. Morgan Meltzer was there make sure the ball got past the keeper.
A few minutes later, Lindo lofted one over the keeper's head to tie the score at 2 with 7 and a half minutes remaining in the game.
After two scoreless overtime periods, the game went into penalty kicks. After Hunter Talley scored to put the Mustangs up 2-1, Kaitlyn Romero make a kick save which gave Mandarin an advantage.
The Lady Mustangs made all five of their penalty kicks, and when Sara Moss scored on the final P.K. attempt, the players stormed the field in celebration.
With the 5-3 win in penalty kicks, Mandarin advances in the playoffs. They will host Fletcher on Saturday. The Mustangs defeated the Senators last week to win a district championship.
Upcoming Events near Mandarin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House